The GM&OHS sponsors a number of events each year where members can greet old friends and make new ones. Our annual fall Railroadiana Show is held in conjunction with our Annual Meeting and Dinner Banquet. Sellers and buyers from all over mark their calendars for these not-to-be-missed events, and members receive reduced rates on tables.
The GM&OHS Annual Meeting, held in a GM&O on-line city each October/November is an all-day event including railroadiana tables, model contests, and a banquet featuring captivating guest speakers and an audio/visual presentation of extraordinary interest. It has come to pass that this historical society dedicated to preserving the history of the GM&O has surpassed the railroad in number of years in existence. The dedicated members of the Society have worked hard and achieved many noteworthy accomplishments:
- Published over 3000 pages of the GM&OHS News - the official Society magazine.
- Commissioned and produced over dozens of prototypically accurate HO model railroad cars.
- Established archives with the Mercantile Library of the University of Missouri at St. Louis
- Preserved two pieces of GM&O Railroad equipment:
GM&O caboose no. 2954 preserved and operating at the Monticello Railway Museum in Monticello, Illinois. Years after its restoration, the caboose was sold to a museum member and is now privately owned but still on museum property.
GM&O GP35 no. 631, until recently on static display at FSI, Inc. (the location of the former GM&N/GM&O Frascati Shops) in Mobile, Alabama. The locomotive has been sold to Vintage Locomotives for further restoration to operational condition for use on a tourist line in Tennessee. The unit is to be maintained in historically accurate paint and features.
All members receive our quality photo journal the GM&OHS News, and the Switchlist, our quarterly newsletter. Memberships run from January 1st to December 31. Regardless of when you join, you will receive all printed materials, including back issues, for that calendar year(cutoff date is Nov. 1st of each year. Memberships received after November 1st are applied to the following year. Because your dues dollar retains its value all year long, a GM&OHS membership also makes an ideal gift for that special railfan!
Sustaining and Benefactor Memberships are a great way to give a little extra to support the Society’s efforts. Sustaining and Benefactor members are acknowledged at least once per year in the News, and they receive free admission to all GM&OHS-sponsored train shows. As the GM&OHS is a not-for-profit entity, a tax benefit may be available to members for the additional amount donated.
Using PayPal is the most convenient way to join the GM&O Historical Society. One need not have an existing PayPal account to use this service. Simply follow the checkout process as a new customer.
- Current members are welcome to renew their membership through this online feature.
- For Regular memberships, click the ’add to cart’ button next to that choice.
- For either Sustaining or Benefactor memberships, clicking the ’add to cart’ button will charge the base level of either $50 or $100.
- To increase your contribution beyond those levels, please click on combinations of additional dollar amounts at the bottom of the page to reach the desired total donation.
- To purchase other items offered by the society, check out our Commissary page.
- Thank you for supporting the GM&O Historical Society!
«» International memberships please include an appropriate additional amount to cover increased postal expense. Contact the webteam for additional information if needed.«»
«» Canadian members please add $10 for cross border mailings. «»
«» All amounts shown are in U.S. Dollars. «»
Sustaining $50.00 to $100.00
Choosing this level starts at the base amount of $50. To increase this, add one or more additional amounts from the monetary choices below. Thank you.
Benefactor $100.00 or more
This level begins at $100. To increase this amount, choose additional increments as desired from the monetary choices below. Thank you.